FEM 5-Days Crash Course
Date : 26th-30th August 2019 [Monday-Friday]
Venue : Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, Putrajaya
About The Institutions
HERIOT-WATT UNIVERSITY MALAYSIA (HWUM)
Heriot-Watt University is a public research university based in Edinburgh, Scotland, established in 1821 as the world’s first mechanics’ institute. The university was named International University of the Year by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
MALAYSIAN SOCIETY FOR NUMERICAL METHODS (MSNM)
MSNM is a society registered under Registrar of Societies (RoS) of Malaysia with registration number PPM-015-08-16112017 which establishment is to advance the knowledge and technologies of numerical methods in Malaysia.
About The Speakers
|Dr Airil Yasreen Mohd Yassin|
is an Associate Professor at the School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society (EGIS), Heriot-Watt University Malaysia. He has more than ten years of experience working in computational mechanics and numerical methods especially in the field of civil engineering. He obtained his PhD in structural engineering from Imperial College London in 2007
|Dr Ahmad Razin Zainal Abidin|
is the President of Malaysian Society for Numerical Methods (MSNM) and a Senior Lecturer at the School of Civil Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM). He obtained a PhD from Imperial College London in 2013 under the supervision of Professor Bassam Izzuddin, the developer of FEM software, ADAPTIC.
The 5-days course will emphasize on the delivery of FEM fundamental understanding. The program will cover the following topics:
1. Basic concept of numerical methods
2. Basic concept of Finite Element Method
3. Bar element
4. Beam element
5. Plane truss structure
6. Plane frame structure
7. Eigenvalue problems (buckling and natural frequency)
8. Two dimensional elements (heat transfer and plane stress elements)
By the end of the program, participants are expected to have strong understanding on:
1. FEM as a tool to solve differential equations numerically.
2. The step-by-step procedure of converting differential equations into matrix forms.
Who Should Attend?
1. Engineering final year and postgraduate students
2. Post-doctoral researchers
3. Practicing engineers
For enquiries, please contact:
+60 12-689 8540
The fees is RM 1,000 per person*
*A participant will be provided with:
1. An FEM book published by MSNM as course material
2. Certificate of attendance signed by HWUM and MSNM (for those who complete the course)
3. Morning tea and lunch
How To Pay?
1. Through Online Transfer or Cash Deposit Machine, details of bank account are below:
Name : Persatuan Kaedah Numerik Malaysia
Bank name : Bank Islam Malaysia Berhad
Account No : 08-095-01-000908-5
2. For payment through participant’s institution, MSNM will provide invoice addressed to the institution. Please email or contact admin to make arrangement.
3. Cash payment during event registration (26th August 2019, 8.00 am).
*All payments made need to be accompanied by proof of payment (i.e bank slip or receipt) and email to firstname.lastname@example.org